ASD’s purpose is to defend Australia against global threats and advance our national interests through the provision of foreign signals intelligence, cyber security and offensive cyber operations, as directed by Government.
In order to do this, ASD masters technology and its application to inform (signals intelligence), protect (cyber security) and disrupt (offensive cyber operations).
ASD’s strategic objectives are to:
- Deliver strategic advantage for Australia by providing intelligence that protects and advances Australia’s national interests.
- Lead in cyber security, making Australia the safest place to connect online, and foster national cyber security resilience.
- Support military operations, enabling the war fighter, and protecting Defence personnel and assets.
- Counter cyber-enabled threats, protecting Australia and Australians by countering cyber-enabled crime and disrupting terrorists’ use of the internet.
- Provide trusted advice and expertise, delivering timely, quality advice to government, law enforcement, businesses and the community.
Download to read full report.